Saturday, January 4, 2014

My first time-lapse video

One of my Christmas gifts was an intervalometer, or time-lapse/timer remote, for my camera. (I'm still confused on whether it's timelapse, time-lapse or just time lapse.) You can set it up to take pictures every x seconds/minutes/hours. You can have it be continuous or a set number, and there are some other options I haven't really explored. Then you can take all those photos and put them into a little time-lapse video! It's something I was interested in trying, and I've been having fun experimenting.

My first few attempts didn't work so well (a scene that barely changes doesn't tend to make a very exciting video for some reason), but yesterday I set my camera out on my deck all day and there happened to be a lot of cloud and light variation over the lake. It was actually a very nice day for January. So now I'm sharing this video with friends because what else am I going to do with it? It's just a minute long, but it depicts several hours of pictures. Oh and I didn't do anything with the photos to color correct or change the exposure--I was just working on the mechanics of the video more than the photography aspect.

Lake from J M on Vimeo.


I have some other ideas and might show you more resulting videos sometime.

PS Sorry if you have already heard of this through other social media. :)

PPS Christmas/SF pictures to come!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man that is so cool! I know it's just a really basic thing but I love it! It was a pretty good to do that, with some nice light variation instead of the typical PNW socked-in gray winter day : ) And ducks! And geese! Fun! I'm excited to see more of what you do with intervalometer (who got you that anyway, that person must be sooooo awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it's simple and yet cool.

      Oh he's no one you know!

      Delete
  2. That person must be sooooo awesome. ;-)

    I enjoyed the video. The music you set to it seemed perfect. I love the way the lower bushes all-of-a-sudden lit up near the end because the sun was low in the sky. I delighted in seeing the little ducks gather on the shore and jump into the lake. Thank you for the fun minute. :)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! I know, I've watched it way too many times now and have noted different things changing, like the red tree branches in the bottom right.

      The "ducks" are actually Canada geese but it's hard to tell much of anything in this small video. :) I'm only telling you fyi if you were curious.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...