Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Books


Happy new year! Here's to clean slates! *clink* This morning I made an egg nog coffee cake that I'll share the recipe for later on. So good. I'm going to have a slow day and enjoy the sunshine (it's nice and sunny today, though pretty freezing too) and my last day off work for the holidays. I wish I could take another few months off.

I read 41 books this year. I tried to finish a 42nd so my grid would be even, but it didn't happen. I find I don't read well under pressure (which explains why I so rarely read from my school textbooks).

A few notes...

1. Yes, I tend to like lighter reads. But don't let the covers/titles fool you. They aren't always fluffy chick lit even if they are supposed to appear that way.

2. Actually, I feel most of the books pictured here give the wrong impression about my reading preferences, but I will stop myself from explaining all the reasons why.

3. Favorites from the year are highlighted in green:

The Sunday Philosophy Club (and others from the series I've read so far) by Alexander McCall Smith. These are the first non-Ladies' Detective books I've read by him and I was kind of afraid I wouldn't like reading about anyone else besides Precious Ramotswe, but I did!

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - I don't know what to say about it, but it's good. I'm afraid to see the movie and ruin it.

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen - A fun mix of light magic with the more serious stuff told in a light-hearted way so it wasn't depressing. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books but keep running out of time before the library takes them back.

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen - Pride and Prejudice-esque. I guess I'm a little fascinated with that time period and social class, sometimes. Bonus points for being Christian fiction without being annoying in the way so many Christian fiction books are. It's sad that most wholesome books come at a sacrifice.

The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney - I'm not quite done with this series (four books) but was pleasantly surprised by it.

4. Least-favorites: Oh gosh...that list is too long, but the winners of said list would be The Sunday Wife by Cassandra King, House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson, and Summer in Tuscany by Elizabeth Adler. Don't get me started on why!

5. Most of these were audiobooks.

Does anything come to your mind as being a great or terrible read from this past year? I welcome recommendations!



6 comments:

  1. Quite a list! You know mine will never be that extensive. They look like good picks. I'm glad you mentioned your least favorite, though, so I won't bother with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, yeah it helps that we have a good library system here with plenty of audiobooks! I know you guys have less selection there in YC. Do you keep track of your books, though? You should! It's fun. I just start a draft in my email and update it every time I finish a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your end of the year book graphic!

    Err...I can't think of anything off the bat that was great or awful...but I haven't reviewed my own book list for the year so maybe I'll think of something. I read a fair number of books but I drifted away from classics a bit so a lot of it was not so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing what other people have read! Added a few to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...