Saturday, December 5, 2009

Smothered Chicken with Brown Rice

I'd like to post some recipes for food I made and enjoyed. Some of my photos aren't the greatest, but I hope to get better at that. Anyway, here's my first recipe post!



I made this after seeing it among the Kraft recipes online. I changed some things, mostly out of necessity, and the result was good, but not great. I couldn't find PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese (whatever that is), so I used an artichoke cream cheese that I found (which I can't wait to try on a bagel, too). I also used turkey bacon instead of regular, but added salt and some olive oil at various points, so it kind of all balanced out, fatwise. I think the best thing about it was the texture of different ingredients. I think this recipe has potential, which is why I'm posting about it.

6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped
6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 lb.)
1 large onion, chopped
6 large carrots (1-1/2 lb.), thinly sliced
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese, cubed
3 cups hot cooked brown rice

COOK and stir bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 5 min. or until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings from skillet. Add chicken, cook 1 to 2 min. on each side or until browned; cover. Cook 8 min. or until chicken is done (165ºF). Transfer chicken to plate; cover to keep warm.

ADD onions to skillet; cook 5 min. or until tender. Stir in carrots and 3/4 cup broth; cover. Simmer 10 min. or until vegetables are tender. Reserve 1/3 cup vegetables.

After stirring in some carrots and broth, I let it simmer and then checked back and saw it had formed a pattern! I'm sure there's some physics explanation for this, but I found it pretty weird. I mean, is that a subliminal message to go to Target? Or do I have crop circles in my food?

PLACE remaining broth, reserved 1/3 cup vegetables and Neufchatel in blender; blend until smooth. Add sauce and reserved chicken to vegetables in skillet; cover. Cook 2 min. or until heated through. Spoon rice onto serving plate; top with chicken mixture, sauce and bacon.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds super delicious. I'm saving it for future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neufchatel Cheese is right next to the regular packaged cream cheese at the store. It's very similar to cream cheese, but I've found that it's usually cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dania, I looked for it but didn't see it. Maybe I didn't read labels closely enough. Oh well--next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks EXCELLENT! I'm SO making this soon!

    Neufchatel is also lower in fat, but still just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I second what Fayelle said, Neufchatel is 1/3 less fat than your standard cream cheese. :) I substitute it in recipes a lot, except for cheesecake, I just don't want to mess with that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...