Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pre-Christmas


(Just an old photo I found. It was taken in December of 2008 when we strung up some lights in our office, and had a nice sunset one night.)

I have neglected this blog, and part of the reason is that I haven't been taking bloggable photos. But I know I can post even without pictures, so here I am.

Thanksgiving was great! I went to the Seattle area (like last year) and every day was different, but I think I got to experience a nice balance of activities. It snowed a little, and was generally FREEZING for most of my visit, but that made it fun and memorable. I really hated leaving to go back to normal life after the nice 5-day break.

But normal life hasn't been so bad! Last Friday I got some good news and it seems to have given me a jolt of Christmas spirit. I was feeling overwhelmed by all I wanted to accomplish this month, but now I'm feeling much more on top of things. I've shopped, baked, hung lights, sent a bit of mail, wrapped gifts and lots of other little things. I LOVED Christmas when I was a kid (like most kids), but then I started feeling stressed and sometimes bummed about it for part of my adulthood. In the past few years, I've been getting some of my childhood excitement. I can point to some possible reasons, but I don't really know why. Life just has its phases with things, I guess.

Anyway, I am glad that Christmas gives us an excuse to do special things for people. It gives me the push to step slightly out of my comfort zone and contact old friends or try new projects. Sometimes I think Christmas is dragged on too long when I see stores decorating before Halloween. But then as the day approaches, it feels like there's never enough time to do everything I'd like to do. (Like go to the Festival of Lights at The Grotto in Portland. I just learned of that this year, but I don't really have the time/energy to go. How cool does that sound?)

I have several more things to accomplish in the next two weeks, but I am trying to enjoy each step of the process instead of just dwelling on the list or wishing it would all be over.

And oh yeah, I just remembered I've taken some pictures and wanted to share some recipes with you! I'll try and get to that this week. We'll see, chickadee.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite Christmas songs:


We listened to a lot of Mannheim Steamroller when I was younger, so it has a lot of good memories attached. But the choir version of this song is great, too.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You really do have the Christmas spirit! I have been feeling a little overwhelmed this year, partly because of all the retirement stuff mixed in with the Christmas preparations. This beautiful and peaceful post has just calmed me down a bit! Thank you. Continue to enjoy the blessings of Christmas. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I can totally understand why you'd be feeling overwhelmed! Plus your house will be crazy with company for a full week. I'm feeling a little stressed on your behalf. :/ I will try to be helpful. :) But I am quite lazy, so we'll see if I succeed!

      Delete
  2. Well...I am excited for all the time off : )

    When are you coming back to Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha--yeah, I know you're not into Christmas. :)

      Thanks, Dan! :) Soon, I hope!

      Delete
    2. Hey I don't if you heard, but my sister is having a baby soon!

      Delete
    3. That's true! :) I do want to see that little baby.

      Delete
  3. Wait ... good news? Do I know what it is? Will you be sharing it? Inquiring mind. I'm glad you're in the spirit of the season. It's taken me time to get there this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered this in email! :) In case I ever read this and wonder...I'll have to keep wondering if I forgot. :P

      Delete
  4. I listened to tons of MS growing up too... it's such a big part of Christmas memories for me!

    Holly and the Ivy is one of my faves too. I prefer a solo - like Natalie Cole's rendition. :)

    -Fayelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I know the words to Holly and the Ivy! I've always just listened to the instrumental. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...