Saturday, September 20, 2014

Dahlias

Last month I visited Frey's Dahlias, a nearby dahlia farm, after hearing about it through Twitter. It was a really nice evening, and there were sooooooooooooooooooooo many dahlias of all types and colors. I could've stayed longer, but it was already long after closing when I left.

My favorites are this type with all the little "rolled up napkins" as a friend described them. I tended to give them extra attention, though I need more practice taking their picture.



There are so many styles of dahlias.

And colors.

The flower fields are something I love about Oregon. Or maybe I just didn't look into it in California? It just seems there are lots of different farms and gardens around here from early spring to late summer. In previous years I've visited gardens specifically for tulips, irises, roses and peonies. I'd like to add more to my list.

School girls telling secrets.

Some types of dahlias, like these, are huge. Probably as big as my head (and that's gigantic!!).

Loooove these red-orange ones.

So cute.

Confession: this photo is upside down. I just think it looks better this way.


Okay, a little warning for the bug haters: the rest of the photos (below) have a bug of some sort, but no spiders.

These are the same little guys that were on the roses before. I was thinking that maybe the reason I've never seen them before this year is because I wasn't seeking out insects for photography before.

They had some sunflowers too.

As usual, thanks for looking!

10 comments:

  1. I like the bug pictures : ) The three bees on the sunflower and the closeup of the other one are nice.

    So many gorgeous pics! Different flowers are so intricate and beautiful, it's fun to see all the variety that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there are so many different types of dahlias. I love the "rolled napkins", especially the red-orange blossoms. The big blossom, that looks like it has maroon paint splattered on it, is cool. This makes me want me to go out and buy dahlias to plant in the yard, however, this is probably not the best time of year to plant them.

    I particularly like the sun flower with the three bees in the middle. Are sun flowers dahlias?

    Thank you for this post. Love, Mom



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think sunflowers are related to dahlias, I guess they just had some there for whatever reason. They bloom at the same time. :)

      I know, it seems all flowers have many types that we don't always know about. It would be cool if you planted some! I'm not sure when is best to plant them, but you could Google it.. probably spring? If daffodils are planted in winter (are they?).

      Delete
    2. Daffodils are bulb plants. I guess they are planted in winter, but they don't come up until early spring. Anyway, I should check the best planting time for dahlias.

      Delete
  3. After looking at this post, I've decided I don't think I've ever actually seen a dahlia. They're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think I liked dahlias till now. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...